A sudden accident shattered Ash’s skull and left him fighting for his life.

Please will you help raise $142,900 to buy a new state-of-the-art ECMO life support machine that will help save the lives of people like Ash?

When Ash – a dairy farmer and young father – went to feed his calves, he had no idea he’d end up fighting for his life. A heavy branch fell onto him and shattered part of his skull.

For nearly an hour, the air ambulance team battled to get Ash stable. He was flown to The Royal Melbourne Hospital and rushed into surgery. As quick as they could, his family was driving to Melbourne, not knowing if Ash was going to make it. He did survive surgery, but the trauma surgeons had to remove part of his skull. He was put on life support for two days – any movement or stress could have ended his life.

When Ash woke up after the accident, he had no memory of what had happened. But he immediately realised that his life had been saved. “Everybody who looked after me was amazing. From the ambulance team, to the hospital. If they didn't have that set up, I wouldn't be here today.” The ICU at the RMH needs a new life support machine – one that’s even more advanced than the current system that kept Ash alive.

Please give generously to help buy the newest, most advanced ECMO life support machine to keep hearts beating and lungs breathing when they can’t do it on their own.


Donate Today
I have read and understood these Terms and Conditions in their entirety and agree to be bound by them.
None of us know when a phone call could come that would send us racing to hospital

It was a shock being diagnosed with breast cancer. I just wanted life to be as normal as possible for our kids," says Narla. 

"I had my first chemo, and my hair was starting to fall out, so I thought I’d get it cut short. That was the day Ash’s accident happened. We also had a farm to run. It was just so tough.

No family should go through this alone. 

Will you help rally around to buy a new ECMO life support machine to keep patients like Ash alive when they are critically-ill?

Ash's head injury was devastating. He faced a long recovery after his operation 

​​​​​​​He couldn’t drive. He couldn’t work. He had to wear a helmet to protect his head at all times. 

Four months later, Ash underwent surgery to have a titanium plate put in his skull. A year to the day after the accident, Ash had a seizure for the first time, and then another a few weeks later. He now needs medication to prevent them happening again.

Today, Ash has come through the other side of his long recovery, and Narla is cancer-free, but they never stop feeling grateful to the doctors and nurses who helped save Ash’s life. And to people like you who helped make that possible.

Nicole has been an ICU nurse at The Royal Melbourne for 17 years. She was working the night Ash came in. 

“In surgery, they removed the damaged part of his skull,” explains Nicole. “This gives the brain the best chance of recovery and means when it swells, it doesn't cause any secondary damage.”

After surgery, Nicole and the nursing team monitored him closely in our ICU. He was in an induced coma and on life support. 

Nurses like Nicole should have the equipment they need to do their jobs. They deal with tragic situations every day. They know how to support not only patients, but their families  as well.